Winter sometimes gets a bad rap for being long and dreary but winter brings it’s own unique beauty to the collection of seasons. Depending on where you live your landscape could be blanketed with white snow or you could have a more mild winter season as the trees and shrubs take a break from growth and blooming.
Taking down the festive holiday decorations and saying hello to Old Man Winter doesn’t have to be depressing. In fact, decorating for winter, whatever that looks like in your neck of the woods, can be fun and uplifting with these 5 tips to beat the winter decor blues!
1. Declutter. This is a great time of year as Christmas decor gets packed up to organize and declutter your home. Too much stuff can weigh us down emotionally and too much clutter has been linked to stress and anxiety. So spend a little bit of time each day so it’s not overwhelming to go through closets, cabinets and drawers. Ask yourself why you are holding on to something tucked at the back of a drawer that hasn’t seen the light of day in 3 years. Throw out items you don’t need (be kind to the environment and recycle as much as possible, please) and donate what is still useable. You will be amazed with how letting go of too much physical stuff lifts not only your inner vibe but the vibe of your home.
2. Color. Nature may be taking a break from an abundance of color but doesn’t mean your home has to. Going into winter, focus on finding one primary pop of color you can incorporate into your home. A color that you really love and makes you feel good. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box and challenge the trendy status quo. Yellow and pink are not just colors for springtime decor.
3. Texture. Adding elements like throws, pillows, rugs and fur covered stools are perfect accessories for making your home feel more cozy during the winter months. Have fun with these elements and look for ways to place them in unexpected places.
4. Redecorate. Just by moving furniture, artwork and accessories around from room to room can instantly give your home a whole new look without spending a dime. That armoire in your bedroom may look great in your master bath. The wing back chair in your living room could look great at the end of your dining room table. Even changing smaller accessories from cabinets, shelves, dressers and switching up pillows can make a big impact So channel your inner creative and have some fun shaking up the spaces of your home.
5. Greenery. Adding greenery any time of year and especially winter is a great way to bring the natural beauty of the outdoors in. Fill vases with fresh eucalyptus, spruce up a mantle with a preserved garland, hang a wreath on a barn door or inside a picture frame, place a potted fern on a stool in your master bathroom. Your home will be feeling like Mother Nature just popped in for a visit.
I hope you found these tips helpful and inspiring in decorating your home not only during the winter months but in any season. To quote Nate Berkus “Your home should tell a story of who you are, and be a collection of what you love brought together under one roof“.
Make styling and decorating your home a joy-filled experience friends!
Kristi Bissell is a decor blogger and BHG Stylemaker. You can find her on Instagram @ThePickledRose decorating her home and SheShed, sharing inspiration and photos of her lovable Great Dane Harley